St Elizabeths East will be a unique place to cultivate globally-significant economic opportunities in security, including critical infrastructure, energy, and sustainable technologies and practices – a place where our nation’s brightest minds can think, create, innovate, educate, and live.
Find details about this unparalleled vision, offering, place, project, and strategy in the publication St Elizabeths East: Envisioning the Future.
To maximize the growth of innovation-based small businesses and jobs, St Elizabeths East will become:
- A revitalized historic campus with new mixed-use neighborhoods of retail, office, housing, open space, and cultural amenities.
- A center for innovation and excellence that leverages the substantial investment of DC government in infrastructure and other neighborhood amenities and improvements, including approximately $2.7 million in site planning and entitlements, and $4.5 million in historic building stabilization. Additionally, Mayor Vincent C. Gray’s budget, approved by the DC Council in June, 2012, includes $113.5 million for infrastructure improvements to be delivered between 2013 through 2016.
- An economic development project that stimulates revitalization and regeneration in South East Washington.
Development on the East Campus is guided by the St Elizabeths East Redevelopment Framework Plan, approved by the DC Council in December 2008 and the 2012 Master Plan and an Economic Development Strategy funded by the U.S. Economic Development Administration, with multiple objectives that provide for:
- Direct employment opportunities in both the short- and long-term for District residents;
- Services and amenities that improve choices for both local residents and an new workforce;
- Revitalization of the historic campus by adaptively reusing buildings within a mixed use environment
- Expansion of retail and housing choices for residents east of the river, and others
Enhancement of mobility, replacement of obsolete infrastructure, and an example of best practices in sustainability.