St Elizabeths East is coming alive.
After two years of investment and planning to support surrounding neighborhoods and infrastructure for the redevelopment of this incomparable historic landmark, an exciting succession of announcements, events, and activities is paving the way for new mixed-use, mixed-income development at St Elizabeths East – a gateway to the future and a catalyst for economic development and growth.
- February 2013, the District of Columbia’s Zoning Commission approved the St. Elizabeths (StE) zone district for St. Elizabeths East. The zoning regulations for St. Elizabeths East can be located at: http://www.dcregs.org/Gateway/NoticeHome.aspx?noticeid=4257153
- March 2013, the U.S. Commission on Fine Arts and the D.C. Historic Preservation Review Board issue final design approvals for the Gateway Pavilion. The Gateway Pavilion is set for construction in the Summer 2013.
- April 2013, the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development releases a Request for Expressions of Interest for an academic anchor at the St. Elizabeths East Innovation Hub.
- June 2012: Completion of Master Plan for transforming more than 180 acres into a marketplace of ideas, innovation, and commercialization.
- July 2012: Council of the District of Columbia approves $113.5 million for infrastructure improvements to prepare historic acreage for first phase of redevelopment.
- September 2012: Three finalists selected as anchors for redevelopment: Citelum USA, Microsoft Corporation, and SmartBIM/Treasury Advisory Services move to the next round of inquiry.
- October 2012: Design and construction of St Elizabeths East Gateway Pavilion, this century’s first new construction on the historic campus, awarded to internationally renowned design team members Davis Brody Bond, KADCON, and Robert Silman Associates.
Next for St Elizabeths East
- Continued community outreach and invitations to the community to participate in the implementation of St Elizabeths East Gateway Pavilion, and the development of programs and events at the site, including public art displays.
- Release of a Request for Proposals by the D.C. Department of Transportation for the Stage 1 Infrastructure Improvements, which will provide new roads, wet and dry utilities to support the initial phases of the campus development.
- Release of a Request for Proposals from qualified parties to serve as Innovation Partner/Phase I Developer for portions of St. Elizabeths East, which is planned for release in 2013.